Sivitanidios Public School Of Trades & Vocations

  • 1921: Τhe testament of Vassilios Sivitanidis opens, whereby his huge estate devolves to the Greek State in order with to establish a School of Arts and Professions in the name of the testator and his brother Louizos, in accordance with the european standards and in particular in accordance with the famous Parisian school "Arts et Metiers".
  • 1926: A law passes establishing Sivitanidios School of Crafts and Professions, which falls under the responsibility and supervision of the Ministry of Economy, is an independent legal entity governed by public law and administered by The Board, whose members are: the Archbishop of Athens and Greece, the President and the Prosecutor of the Supreme Court (all three according to the will of the testator), two Professors of the National Technical University of Athens, a Professor of the school of Natural Sciences of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, two members of the Association of Greek Industries and Handcrafts, the President of Professional and Crafts Chamber, the President of the Technical Chamber of Greece, the President of the Confederation of Professionals, the General Secretary of the Confederation of Workers of Greece, the Head of Vocational Education of the Ministry of Economy and the Industry Inspector of the Ministry of National Economy.
  • 1927: The School starts functioning with five specialties and approximately 200 students. At the opening ceremony the then Prime Minister of Greece Eleftherios Venizelos praises the establishment of such an advanced educational institution.
  • 1929-1930: The school flourishes and shortly before the war around 1500 students are studying in 44 different specialties. A sophisticated technical school, it manages to become financially autonomous, unique in Greece.It is reknown for its excellent performance and gains prestige in the social and professional field.
  • 1940–1944: The laboratories and workshops of the school continue their activities and a few days after the declaration of war they serve various orders in order to meet the needs of national defense, with the recruitment of the staff and the participation of senior students.
  • 1945: The school has suffered severe damage, has sold a large part of its equipment and is left with hardly any assets under the regime of military requisition of the greek forces.
  • 1948: The efforts for the reconstruction of the school show results and laboratory equipment is restored, many times with machines that claim strong Greek industrialists, while at the same time, maintain the dual character of pre-war, this Technical educational Public Foundation and the self-governing simultaneously, economic production organization. Arrive the first customers are public services.
  • 1949: The Ministry of Education orders 2,500 desks to be handcrafted and eight months later another 6,000 while in 1951 the school is asked to construct 10,000 desks. Indicative clients of the school are Panteios University, Social Services, the Ministries of Finance, Industry and National Defense, the State Bureau, the American College and the Court of Auditors. These clients purchase works of carpentry, furniture and machinery. Another field of activity is car maintenance, which is performed by the newly established specialty for vehicle mechanics.
  • 1955-56:There are now 4 Middle Technical Schools, which are attended by approximately 1,000 students, as the Government decides on the establishment of Middle Technical Schools for Mechanical and Electrical Foremen, Building Construction Foremen and Radiotechnology Foremen. In addition, there are five-day Schools for Craftsmen in the specialties of Metalwork, Electrical Engineering, Building, Carpentry and Car Maintenance.
  • 1959: ΤThe 3973/4-9-59 Law for Technical Education provides for the establishment of means of Professional Schools in nine cities of the country and the removal of "polyarchias" in the field of technical education.Sivitanidios School is now under the supervision of the Ministry of Education.
  • During the early ‘60s, Sivitanidios School attracts many students to its schools for foremen and to its Center of Higher Technical and Vocational Training (KATEE).
  • In the Decade of 1970, when efforts are made for the foundation and organization of technical and vocational education with laws 580/70 and 576/77, Sivitanidios is typically equated with the other vocational schools while maintaining the prestige of its name, the excellent building premises and its quality laboratory equipment.
  • 1979: While the percentage of students in technical education remains extremely low – it only accounts for 18.5% of the total number of pupils in secondary education - Sivitanidios not only attracts a large number of students, but also founds Technical and Vocational Schools (law 708/77). Furthermore, according to the same law, the School of Engineering Technologists of Sivitanidios merges with the School of Engineering Technologists in New Philadelphia and create the KATEE in Piraeus ( already renamed as Technological Institute of Piraeus) which until 1985 is housed in the premises of Sivitanidios School, demonstrating a high level of training and equipment.
  • In the decade of 1980, Sivitanidios School, following the directions of the national policy on education, adapting to them and dealing with an increased number of candidate students, creates three Technical Vocational High Schools (T.E.L.) and two afternoon Technical Vocational Schools (T.E.S.), as well as a POLYKLADIKO High School. In 1998 they are converted into five Technical Vocational Schools (T.E.E.) and a General High School (law 1566/85 and 2640/98).